Single Family and Duplex Construction Information


For construction of single-family residences and residential accessory buildings, you will need to bring at least one complete set of construction plans and two sets of site plans to the Permit Center. A surveyor's site plan is required for new buildings, additions and expansions or the removal of a building. The site plan must include the following information: property boundaries of the site, the location of the buildings or additions, the distances from the new construction to the property lines, the location and the widths of new driveways, and a drainage plan. New construction and additions must comply with zoning setback requirements.

Water and Sewer Service

If a water and/or sewer tap is needed for a new or existing residence, you may apply and pay your fees at the Collections Division located on the 2nd floor of City Hall. For further information, call the Collections Division at (828) 323-7424. A connection to public water and sewer is generally required for new development, unless a connection is not available or feasible. Annexation is generally required for connections to the city's sewer system. If public water and sewer service is not available to the property, you will need to obtain well and septic tank permits from Catawba County Environmental Health.

Permit Applications

Typically, a new single-family residence or duplex will require the following permits and/or approvals:

Additions to existing residences and accessory structures, such as garages and storage sheds, may require some or all of the above. The Permit Center is available to answer questions and assist you in being prepared to apply for the permits you need.

Other Permits

If the project involves electrical, plumbing, heating or air-conditioning work, permits will be required. In most cases the electrical, plumbing, heating or air-conditioning contractor will obtain these permits by directly contacting Catawba County Building Services at (828) 465-8399.

Locally Designated Historic Properties

A Certificate of Appropriateness is required prior to exterior renovations, additions, or new construction to a property that has been locally designated as a historic property. Further information regarding historic designations can be found on the Historic Preservation Commission's webpage or by contacting the Planning and Development Division at (828) 323-7422.

Erosion and Sedimentation Control

Erosion and sedimentation control are required regardless of the size of the land disturbance. The law requires land developers to prevent erosion and off site sedimentation on all disturbed areas. If one acre or more is disturbed, an erosion and sedimentation control plan must be filed with the Catawba County Erosion and Sedimentation Control Division 30 days prior to beginning work. For more information, please contact Catawba County Erosion and Sedimentation Control at (828) 465-8161 or the City of Hickory Engineering Division at (828) 323-7416.

Key Documents







76 North Center Street
Hickory, NC 28601
Planning Dept. : (828) 323-7422
Office Fax: (828) 323-7550


City News Room

CityWide Footer

Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Accessibility Statement
Drupal 7 Appliance - Powered by TurnKey Linux