City of Hickory Solid Waste Division updates
The City of Hickory Solid Waste Division has been delayed in completing the second round of curbside leaf collection. Crews are currently working to complete pickup in the Northwest B quadrant. Once that quadrant is completed, crews will move on to the next scheduled quadrant until the second round of leaf pickup has been completed throughout the city. Citizens are asked for their patience as crews work to provide the highest levels of service. This service is dependent on the weather and pickup could be delayed due to inclement weather.
Northwest A: Second round completed
Boundaries of Northwest A: City limits on the west, North Center Street on the east, north of Norfolk Southern Railroad and south of 12th Avenue NW (Geitner Road), 6th Street NW, and 16th Avenue NW.
Northwest B: Second round scheduled to be completed by January 8
Boundaries of Northwest B: All of city limits north of 12th Avenue NW (Geitner Road), 6th Street NW, 16th Avenue NW, and west of North Center Street.
Southeast: January 10 - 14 (second round revised dates)
Southwest: January 10 - 14 (second round revised dates)
Northeast: January 17 - 28 (second round revised dates)
Tips to make leaf collection run smoother throughout the City of Hickory:
- Rake all leaves to the curb by the quadrant’s first collection day. Trucks begin pickup in various areas of the quadrant to ensure efficient service. If leaves are placed to the curb after the first day, there is a risk that the leaves will not be collected during the scheduled time.
- Keep leaves away from storm drains and out of the street to help prevent flooding and accidents during rain, snow, and/or ice events.
- Never park your vehicle on a leaf pile. A hot exhaust system could catch the leaves on fire.
- Do not mix leaves with junk, trash, rocks, or brush (sticks), as this will damage equipment, delay collection, and potentially cause injury. Mixed piles may be deemed as contaminated and result in a specialized pickup and associated fees.
- Leaves in clear plastic bags, or leaves in an easily handled open container, like a 32-gallon container marked Yard Waste, are collected weekly on your regular garbage day.
- Please remember bagged leaves and yard waste must be placed in clear plastic bags so crews can distinguish it from junk.
- Most importantly, please use extreme caution when operating motor vehicles in the vicinity of leaf collection crews. The safety of both residents and the leaf crews depend on it.
For questions regarding garbage, recycling, yard waste, or leaf collection in the City of Hickory, please call 828-323-7500.