Information Technology Projects
Continuous improvements to City systems and technologies are necessary in today’s rapidly changing digital age. In addition to current I.T. projects, the department previously completed the following:
• Updating the phone system and installing advanced videoconferencing equipment at Hickory Fire Department to better facilitate on-site training
• Replacing the Virtual Desktop Infrastructure (VDI) terminals at Hickory Public Library, which provide internet access to the public
• Implementing an online system to register for sports programs offered by the Hickory Parks and Recreation Department
• Installing IBM Cognos Business Intelligence, an integrated business intelligence suite that analyzes data and creates custom reports to guide business decisions
• Performing a Cyber Security Assessment of potential system vulnerabilities
• Rolling out ExecuTime, an electronic time keeping system, and adding new time clocks offering advanced functionality
A current initiative for the I.T. Department is expanding utilization of Laserfiche, a document storage tool which allows for scanning and secure storage of documents. The software also generates electronic forms that will be utilized internally by staff, as well as the general public. The first Laserfiche electronic form to be released will be the application to apply for City boards and commissions. A new server will be installed to handle these new Laserfiche capabilities and support additional functionality throughout departments.
To respond to increased demands for teleworking and virtual meetings, the I.T. Department is working to set up Microsoft Teams for many City departments. Microsoft Teams is the hub for teamwork in Microsoft 365 and allows coworkers to chat, meet, call, and collaborate all in one place.