Skip to main content

Police FAQ

What is the physical address of Floyd W. Lucas, Jr. Police Headquarters?

The physical address for police headquarters is: 347 2nd Avenue SW Hickory, NC 28602.

When should I call 911?

911 should be called when there is an emergency for police, fire, or ambulance services. When 911 is dialed, the call will go to the Catawba County Sheriff's Department. The call will be routed to Hickory Police Department's Communication Center. For a non‐police emergency, you should dial (828) 328‐5551, which will go directly to Hickory Police Department's Communications Center.

How do I obtain a police report?

Reports can be obtained from the Records Division at Floyd W. Lucas, Jr. Police Headquarters Monday through Friday from 7:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. There is a $3.00 fee for each police report obtained from police headquarters. CRASH REPORTS CAN BE ACCESSED ONLINE FOR FREE!

How do I obtain sex offender information?

For information about sex offenders search the North Carolina Sex Offender and Public Protection Registry.

For information about sex offenders search the following link:

How do I take care of traffic tickets?

The magistrate (located at Floyd W. Lucas, Jr. Police Headquarters) can be contacted to pay the fine or you can appear in court. Some traffic tickets require a mandatory court appearance even to plead guilty. If you are not sure, you can check by calling Hickory Police Department's administrative line at (828) 324‐2060.

How do I get a tour of Floyd W. Lucas, Jr. Police Headquarters?

We are very proud of our headquarters and enjoy giving tours. You can arrange a tour by contacting the Community Services Unit at (828) 324‐2060.

Home Watch Program

For many years Hickory Police Department has had a home watch program. Call (828) 328‐5551 and a communications employee will take the needed information. While you are away, P.A.C.T. officers will keep a special watch on your residence.

What makes a person or vehicle "suspicious"?

If something doesn't look right, it's worth having an officer check it out. Don't hesitate to call (828) 328-5551 if you think something or someone is suspicious.

Does the police department provide fingerprinting service for the public?

The Hickory Police Department provides fingerprinting by appointment only. Please call (828) 328-5551 to schedule an appointment. There is a $12.00 fee.


What can I do about noisy neighbors or barking dogs?

Noise is one of the main calls for police service in Hickory. If you have this type of issue, call (828) 328‐5551 while the problem is occurring.

How can I report narcotics activity in my neighborhood?

You can dial (828) 328‐5551.

How do I contact the District Attorney (D.A.)?

The D.A. is with the State of North Carolina Court System. Listed below are the offices for the District Attorney’s Office:

Burke County District Attorney’s Office

Burke County Courthouse

201 South Green Street

Morganton, NC 28655

Phone: (828) 433-3210

Caldwell County District Attorney’s Office

Caldwell County Courthouse

216 Main St. NW

Lenoir, NC 28645

Phone: (828) 759-3510

Catawba County District Attorney’s Office

Newton Courthouse

100 Government Drive

Newton, NC 28658

Phone: (828) 695-6110

Who do I contact to report a streetlight that is out?

While the Traffic division authorizes the placement of new street lights, the installation and maintenance of street lights throughout the City are the responsibility of Duke Energy. You may contact Duke Energy at 1‐800‐777‐9898 or if a street light is not working properly.

How do I apply for a job with the City of Hickory?

You may apply online at