The City of Hickory operates a full-service Sanitation Division for all waste generators, both Residential and Commercial, within the city limits. This division manages routine garbage pickup and recycling, in addition to several other waste removal services.
Regular yard waste such as leaves, grass clippings, and shrubbery trimmings are collected curbside weekly on the same day as residential garbage pickup. Recyclables and Bulky items are also collected separately on the same day. Additional assistance is available for citizens with disabilities by calling (828) 323-7500 or you may click here.
Yard Waste Tips
A special pickup is available on Thursdays for appliances by calling (828) 323-7500.
Curbside leaf collection occurs in the fall, and residents are advised of the schedule in advance through the local media, online, and the City Snippets, which is mailed with the water bill. The City operates vacuum trucks, which make (2) two rounds through the City. Citizens do not need to bag their leaves for collection.
Citizens wishing weekly collection of leaves must use either clear plastic bags (available at retailers or at the City's Public Services Complex) or personal containers labeled "yardwaste." Containers should not exceed 33 gallons in capacity.
Customers should call (828) 323-7500 to report broken rollout containers, request additional rollouts, or for any other sanitation related matter. (Additional fees may apply.)
Dumpster service and recycling services for commercial customers are also available. For information about commercial dumpster service and recycling, click here. You can also call (828) 323-7500 or e-mail email@example.com for more information.
If you would like to make a service request, please click Service Request.
Garbage Collection Tips
- The green rollout garbage container, with the arrows on the lid pointing to the road, must be placed at the curb before 7 a.m. and removed the same day of service.
- The best location for the green rollout is within 2 feet from the curb and 5 feet from any obstruction, including low-hanging branches or wires.
- Please keep all garbage inside your rollout. Do not stuff and overfill to ensure proper emptying of rollout. Please bag all loose garbage to minimize litter.
- Do not throw away liquids or various automobile parts inside the green rollout.
- Put small yard waste trimmings and clippings, such as grass and leaves, in clear plastic bags, or place them in a 32-gallon trash can with "Yard Waste" clearly marked on it. Then you can place them at the curb for pickup.
- Do not pile loose clippings at the curb outside of the City's posted times for curbside leaf collection in the fall.
- Do not put yard waste in your green rollout, as yard waste is banned from the landfill.
- Bulky items, such as furniture and mattresses, should be place by the curb. Please place bulky items where proper clearance is maintained around the rollout containers and yard waste.
- Appliances are picked up on a call-in basis only. Please call (828) 323-7500 to schedule a pickup.
Recycling Collection Tips
- The blue rollout recycling container, with the arrows on the lid pointing to the road, must be placed at the curb before 7 a.m. and removed the same day of service.
- The best location for the blue rollout is within 2 feet from the curb and 5 feet from any obstruction, including low-hanging branches or wires.
- Do not throw anything in the blue rollout recycling container that is not on the approved list.
- Accepted items: #1 and #2 plastics (rinsed); metal cans (rinsed); glass bottles and jars that drinks or food come in (rinsed); paper (newspaper, junk mail, computer paper); fiberboard boxes (cereal boxes, snack boxes); paper towel and toilet paper cores; and flattened cardboard.
- Prohibited items: plastic bags; bubble wrap or plastic wrap; batteries; paint; styrofoam; pizza boxes; frozen food boxes; receipts; shredded, small pieces of paper or plastic; paper towels or napkins; plastic straws; plastic utensils; to-go or solo cups or lids; to-go trays or clamshells; household glass or mirrors or ceramics; pumps; gloves or tubes; "tanglers" or cords; scrap metal; textiles or clothes; hazardous or medical waste; and bagged recyclables.
- Please try to reduce your single use items and increase your use of reusable containers for drinks and food.
- Please keep all recyclables inside your rollout, and do not stuff and overfill to ensure proper emptying and minimize any litter.